Sunday, December 15, 2013

To My Sister...

Initially, at your arrival, I had a look of deepest, pure loathe
that gradually ebbed away as you went through the stages of growth
Certainly, I had been clueless, as to what your presence would really mean
but I was definitely sure of one thing- I would no longer be the queen
I would push you around day by day, though I'm not convinced if you can recall
but I would never leave you, or be satisfied, until you had a straight fall
Yet, you would bounce back up, twinkling, taking my jealousy with such good grace
whereas I would be scratching my head, stunned, a bewildered expression on my face
Wherever I would be loitering around the house, my whereabouts you would locate
and whatever I was doing at that particular moment, you would instantly replicate
Of course, I'm talking about a few months after your blessed birth,
when we mutually thought we were the most fascinating things ever to grace this Earth
I would survey you with glee, as around the house you began to crawl
and you would look at me in unconcealed awe, as I spoke in my american drawl
However, the second we stepped outside, my outlook would twist and turn
I became fiercely protective- my manner changing from teasing to stern
whenever you would come to pre-school, all my friends would eagerly crowd
"What an adorable baby!" they would all shout aloud
Simultaneously, my face would flood with color, I would give an incensed scowl
"Get away, that's my sister!" I would furiously howl
And you would beam around, apparently very pleased with yourself

Our relatives always say, that as a toddler, I was surprisingly alert,
and that my expressions would constantly range from a contemptuous glare,
to one rather hurt
But you, on the other hand, would always have an oblivious, warming smile,
that would reach the hearts of people beyond the proximity of a mile
You would grin contentedly as you ate, and all the more as you slept,
while I would watch admiringly, at the perfect demeanor you kept
But these events took place when you were an infant- I'm sure you can't remember
all the idiosyncrasies you found and honed, from January till December
I'm well aware- of my posting this, you are very strongly opposed
so I'll end the poem right here and now, to avoid any other rows
Thus, I'll simply say-
you've made me what I am today

1 comment: