Tuesday, February 4, 2014

Further and Far

While verging on sleep, blearily staring at the glass,
I saw a flash of spectral white pass
hovering, against the pallor of the night,
a solitary, restless, source of light

Whipping, as I could realize, through the window so clear,
I felt a rush of excitement, much too saturated for fear
While quick thought was restrained when in the shackles of sleep,
my mind sought to rejuvenate the concealed metaphor so deep
And as the unearthly mass came closer and soared higher,
I slowly focused my gaze to a flexible, glinting wire
With mild success, I attempted to optically reach its root,
and once I did, to my mind- understanding would bombard and shoot
I squinted and saw- two miniature, silhouetted figures,
the end of the wire of which was firmly grasped by the bigger
Amazed by the negligible speed of intellect during the tedious night,
it ultimately dawned upon me- they were flying a kite

I shoved open the creaking window,
the pleasure of anticipation etched on my face,
to find the hardy, cloth kite employed in a ballet-
levitating with such grace
In the midst of a pirouette, with nothing to support it
but the unsteady, glacial air
creating a melange of dances, so intimately
soothing and rare
The wind was omnipotent at such a time,
coupled with the extreme high rise,
sending wintry shivers down my spine,
evoking tears from my eyes
It was the first that I ever consciously observed the night-
the very first time
kindling feelings impossible to decipher,
near improbable to mime
The hue of the sky was straying from black,
since artificially shrouded by dust
which sent the kite lingering due to currents from
the wind and an intermittent gust
Yet, beyond the sky, when paying utmost attention,
I could catch beings that would spark and twinkle,
through the thickening veil of growing smoke,
with its depleting holes and wrinkles
It lilted its path from civilization and sight,
soaring to untraceable, unimaginable heights
and I could barely, tangibly spot it-
just as whipping structure of white
I watched and stared in evident dismay
as the kite coolly escaped from the dark's wind and its fray
From flaying in discomfort, it commenced a sagely drift,
as its elevation and my awe experienced a rapid lift

Though, by urbanization, the night's serenity has undergone a mar,
and that the dusty, pastel sky is accepted- it's what the shades are,
its beauty was enhanced, as the kite floated further and far,
blending in, camouflaging, poised to become another star

No comments:

Post a Comment