Friday, February 19, 2016

Eddying Eras

First published in The Tower Journal 

A preternatural rush of flowing air,
a bewildering twirl of my surroundings.
Colors merge to form perplexing hues
my searching eyes have never seen before.
The ring of earth that encircles me
melts to form a swirling mass of confused tones,
that fade with the elapsing backdrops
as I stand rooted in one place
traveling through the disorienting fabric of space--
that transforms as each second wears away,
gaining me the rare, precious minutes
I had let go by without my noticing
as each sun set, as every single day
ticked by while I remained shackled by blissful oblivion
that is represented by slumber, of all the other times
the hours had passed at a confounding speed
to which I was unable to pay heed.
A disorderly mesh of voices
like multicolored strings of yarn,
incapable of disentangling themselves,
drift like confused currents to my listening ears,
of different pitches, varying tones,
blending to form one,
which I can't discern beyond a single word
because there are so many.
Altering temperatures, rising from a freezing chill
to sweltering heat,
interspersed with cascades of rain
that disappear as suddenly as they arrived.
The sun rises and sets disarmingly fast,
carving an immaculate arc across the sky,
darkening and lightening intermittently
of fluctuating intensities,
giving way to the moon and stars
once it completes its course
predetermined by forces beyond our command.
And in a trice, it all stops-
and I find myself in the past,
at a time exceeding my powers of comprehension,
having artfully escaped the pressures of the present,
to find solace in the rapture
of not having been born yet--
just a mere spirit lingering about,
attached to the clouds of the century-old skies.

No comments:

Post a Comment