Sunday, April 6, 2014

Departure of the Summer Heat

Published in 'New Plains Review'.

I hear the crunch of shriveled leaves
disintegrating beneath my feet
I watch the remnants blow with the breeze
as I plod to the morning, jungle heat

I grimace at the crow's menacing calls
as its blown off course by a summer squall
My legs entangle in the irksome vines,
a massive web, clumsily intertwined

The streams reflect a dismal, leaden brown
a surging, rushing cascade as its source,
the dreary shades mirror that of the ground-
the soil- rich, yielding, or sand- dry and course

Trickles of sweat pour down my face
my heart pounds wildly at an aching pace
My ears prick nervously at the most innocent noise,
I whirl instinctively, my body poised

The warm shades of exotic vegetation and creatures
offer no consolation to my itching eyes-
miniature blue-eyed insects with inconceivable features,
with a striking, tropical, imposing guise

I feel the lapping ripples of a gleaming pond,
as vivid schools of fish tickle my knee;
they thrive underneath the abandoned fronds
of ferns, and the lime green creepers stemming from the tree

And as the softer tones of the strident sun
are veiled as the latter sets over the horizon,
unobtrusive critters return to their knolls
while joy and freedom has been triggered in my soul

Some say people feel vulnerable at night,
as they are unfortunately denied the sense of sight
Yet, it simultaneously means the withdrawal of heat
a one-that-cannot-be-compared, stimulating treat

I hear the crunch of fresh, crisp leaves
harmonizing beneath my feet
I gape as the remnants swirls patterns with the breeze
as I gallivant to the night time, frosty heat

I welcome the birds' mellifluous calls
as they swerve motifs by the sudden squalls
My legs are offered warmth by the obliging vines,
a convoluted web, flawlessly intertwined

The twinkling streams reflect a golden brown,
a buoyant, effervescent fall as its source,
the vibrant hues indicate that of the ground-
the secure domain of animals- safe and sound

I appreciate the shadowy views, the sublime scenes
of the foliage, that have turned ebony from green
Though humans are declined the perception of sight,
in summer, the most wonderful experiences are lived at night



No comments:

Post a Comment