Saturday, June 22, 2013

Longest Night

I warily stare at my fluorescent clock
that irritates me with its perpetual tick-tock
it ticks away every second, minute and hour
indicating that sunrise isn't very far

I crane my neck, to lift my head
and stare at the little girl in the next bed
nothing can rouse her, not a douse, not a shake
though her snoring ultimately keeps me awake

Nature's calls I hear only in the dark
as a pack of stray dogs decide to bark
and it really begins to cross the line
when a tiny black thing comes to me to whine

But what really, truly disturbs me the most
is when scary thoughts materialize like a ghost
replaying every horror movie I have ever seen
and leaving behind a face of dull green

Yet the moment I let the window close
time seems to have stopped or froze
and the moment I tell myself not to think
it becomes even harder for me to blink

So the moment I reverse what I had just did
I realize, I don't want noise to get rid
So instead, I gaze at the ceiling's shiny stars
wishing I could jump into the spaceship, and fly straight to mars

Where I'd set up an infinite space station
on its very surface, employing every nation,
I would take a tour around the galaxy
with nothing to hold me back, I'd be completely free

The universe would now become our own, limitless home
with rockets as vehicles, in which teenagers can roam
These delusions create warmth, and utmost bliss
and suddenly it's sleep that I start to miss

So I slowly, gradually close my eyes
while, towards the east, the sun begins to rise


2 comments: